Planting fresh herbs is in fashion. They increase the food taste and have possitive infuence on your health. Besides, they are very decorative. You can plant them both inside and outside the home. Growing herbs at home can be easy whether you live in a house in the suburbs or an apartment in the city, you should just take care about a few tips:
Let there be light
To grow healty indoors, herbs need direct sunlight for about 6 hours per day.
Be careful with watering
Herbs don’t need so much watering like houseplants. They need a modarate amount of water each day. Different spiecies need different amount amount of water, eg. basil need fewer than mint and melissa.
Herbs need enough space in pot for growing.
Parsley, savory, chives need pot with a diameter of 6-inches, marjoram, thyme – 8 inches, but basil and rosemary – 14 inches.
Grow from seedlings rather than seeds
Little starter plants are widely available in grocery stores, buy those one with healty-looking, green leaves.
Don’t forget about drainage and proper soil
Make couple of small holes at the bottom of the container, then put some grit and give your plants a dose of the good soil with organic compost.
Don’t cut the biggest leaves
They are plant’s solar power – an energy provider. Cut off mix of brand new and mature leaves. Never cut off all the leaves at once.
Taking cutting with care
Snip off a 4-inch section, measured back from the top. If you pluck from the base and leave the top intact, you get a tall skinny plant that will flop over from its own weight.
Useful gadgets for herb planting
1. Miracle-Gro Aero Garden – soil-free growing pot – you can buy here
2. Zero Soil Mini Indoor Garden – self watering planter and indoor herb garden, you can buy here
3. Herb Scissors – you can buy here
4. Stoneware pot duo by Sagaform – you can buy here
5. Brussels duo/mono Herb Planter – you can buy here
6. Prepara Herb Savor – you can buy here
7. Sky Planter by Boskke – you can buy here
8. Herb Mill by Microplane – you can buy here
9. Wooden vintage herb containers – you can get them here
10. Herb Gardening & Growing Garlic, Gardening for Beginners – available here